Minnesota National Guard
Minnesota War Orphans Education Benefit

  • Applicant (War Orphan) must be a Minnesota resident for at least two years prior to application
  • Deceased veteran (parent/guardian) must have been a Minnesota resident for at least 6 months immediately prior to the time of entry on active duty.
    Veteran must have died while serving on active duty or as a result of a service-connected condition.  This determination is made my the US Department of Veterans Affairs (US DVA) or other instrumentality of the United States
  • “Veterans Child” includes birth or adoption, but does not include step or foster children.
How to Apply

Complete Department of Veterans Affairs application form (MDVA-3 Application for Minnesota War Orphan Education Benefit) Obtain proof of service-connected death of veteran parent from the VA Regional Office and the DD214, or other official notice of death while on active duty (Casualty Report, DD Form1300) Provide a birth certificate and proof of current Minnesota residency for the previous two years. Send completed application to: State of Minnesota, Department of Veterans Affairs, 20 West 12th Street, St Paul, MN 55155 Subsequent applications should be submitted using the MDVA-3A Renewal Application for Minnesota War Orphan Education Benefit

Admission to Minnesota “institutions of university grade” free of tuition until a bachalor’s degree (or equivalent) has been obtained.  The University of Minnesota will begin waiving tuition for War Orphans fall semester 2006.  NOTE:  Free tuition does apply to private colleges or universities.A maximum payment of $750.00 in a fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).  Payment may be used for fees, books and supplies, and/or room and board.  May also be used toward tuition at institutions where the free tuition part of the program does not apply.Program may be used at the following institutions located within the state of Minnesota:
  • State Universities
  • Community Colleges
  • Vocational-Technical College
  • Campuses of the University of Minnesota
  • College of higher learning accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
  • Theological Seminary
  • Nursing School approved by the Board of Nursing
Allan Jorgensen
Joint Forces Headquarters
State Benefits Advisor
Veterans Services Building
20 W. 12th Street
St Paul, MN 55155
(651) 282-4667 (office)

(612) 308-6242 (cell)
For More Information

For additional information call
651-296-2562 State of Minnesota, Department of Veterans Affairs, 20 West 12th Street, St Paul, MN 55155
*You must reapply for the War Orphan benefit each year.